Student Research Fund
The competition is open to graduate and undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh engaged in research related to the study of women, gender, and/or sexuality. The number of projects funded and the amount of funding vary each year depending on donations to the program. Awards of up to $1000 are made to support travel expenses, secretarial costs, research materials, or other direct costs related to research. Travel and expenditures must be arranged in advance through the Women’s Studies Program.
Strong priority will be given to individuals who have not received Women’s Studies funding in the past and to students officially enrolled in the Women’s Studies Certificate Program who have made significant progress toward their certificate requirements. Preference will be given to proposals with a clear research rationale that effectively address readers beyond the projects’ home discipline and that actively engage and contribute to women’s studies or gender studies scholarship. Upon completion of the research, students will be asked to present their findings to the Women’s Studies community through a brownbag presentation.
The research proposal must be typewritten, double-spaced, and single-sided. Submit one copy of items 1-7 in this order:
- Completed Student Research Fund Cover Sheet
- Current Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Project Description Summary (2 pages): Outline the underlying theory of the project, the research questions being asked, the specific issues being investigated, and a statement of your project’s relevance to Women’s Studies.
- Research Methodology (no more than 1 page): Include a brief review of previous research and a discussion of the methods that will be used through your project.
- Bibliography (no more than 1 page): Emphasize the most pertinent sources of research.
- Project Timetable (no more than 1 page): Summarize the sequential stages of the research and indicate a proposed date for the completion of each step.
- Itemized Budget (no more than 1 page): Explain in detail the cost of the overall project (with line items for travel, research materials, secretarial costs, copying, photography, and any other direct costs related to the comprehensive research effort). Indicate on the budget page which item(s) listed will be supplemented or covered by this award. Review Pitt's policy on reimbursable expenses before submitting your proposed budget. Consult the Program Assistant before using awarded funds.
- Letter of Reference: The application packet must include a letter of reference from a faculty member familiar with the student’s work and project. The letter must be in a sealed envelope, signed by the faculty member.
All applications are due by 5 p.m. on Friday, March 22, 2013 in 2208 Wesley W. Posvar Hall.
Grant awards are subject to available funds.
interact and create
Learn more »